I am John Rankin, a “natural health guru” with years of proven results. I am not a medical doctor, but I firmly believe in using natural methods alongside the treatments of doctors and pharmacies. Many natural methods have worked for me and have improved my health.
Our world has continued to progress despite medical rough spots, like the plague and the flu epidemic early in the last century. We will get through the current pandemic of coronavirus, or COVID-19, as well.
All of us worry about our health and the health of our family members, neighbors and friends during the spread of COVID-19. I believe my years of study of Mother Nature’s offerings can give to us some winning solutions, using natural means, to keep ourselves healthy and resistant to the worst virus to hit our planet in 100 years.
It’s obvious at this time in history all of us are afraid we are going to get sick, if we haven’t already been sick, with this killer COVID-19 virus. I am not advocating violating the social distancing rules and I do not advocate abandoning a mask, but I have a completely different take on health and staying alive and well.
Let’s take a look at this.
We are all staying at home in order to stay safe and not get sick. But isn’t home usually the place we go when we are sick? Sounds confusing, doesn’t it, but the medical experts have decided quarantining the world, short of a medical cure, is the only way to fully eradicate this demon in our society. Everyone is staying inside to hide from the virus, which in the end may be all for naught.
Sadly, in the process of avoiding infection, world economies are being destroyed at the hands of the feared virus. We are practicing physical distancing with the intention of being saved from this dreadful disease.
We can flatten the curves, wear masks, draw new graphs and stay out of harm’s way all day long, but it appears to me this demon will still exist, only to rebound back into our communities just as fast as it left.
A good example of this was the 1918 flu pandemic. The world let their guard down after the first round, then a second blast of the flu killed millions more in the fall of that year.
In my opinion, staying locked up at home hiding behind our curtains sounds like we are waiting to hear the bombs blasting in our neighborhood during wartime. We are hoping one doesn’t hit us while in our home. That’s surely not the technique we want to use to save ourselves and our loved ones, and certainly doesn’t appear to be the best way to prevent illness.
Running from the bad guys has never been a winning strategy, in my view.
It seems everyone in the healthcare industry assumes they have the latest and most wonderful plan. I don’t know about you, but I am not comforted by the approach of simply taking experimental and probably dangerous medications and staying at home indefinitely while the economy and our futures are sinking. That’s not a very healthy approach. This sort of a plan technically could work, but only if 100 percent of the world’s population stayed indoors. They’re not. The bottom line for that plan appears to be somewhat useless in the long run. And we also must realize there are unknown side effects, such as gut problems, caused by dangerous medications.
All of the declarations and mobilizations deemed necessary by our leaders may help, but will not save us from an invisible virus pandemic.
If you look at this simple plan, I believe my study of natural ways could show you how you can save your own body. “How,” you say? Keep reading and by the time you finish this explanation of methods I have successfully taught for years, all over the world, you will have a whole new vision on life — a healthy new life.
As we examine 10 steps to protect ourselves, we must realize the most important way to battle any disease, (including this virus), is by having a healthy immune system. Most people have always been aware of this but really never quite know what that means nor have they seen it in action. Why? Because most Americans don’t have healthy immune systems.
Most of humankind has been programmed to believe the only way to fix a medical problem is to take a man-made synthetic medication. Our goal is to never have the medical problem to begin with.
The power of the human immune system is totally overlooked in today’s society. About 85 percent of the immune system is in the gut, and a healthy gut will prevent many diseases.
If you follow these guidelines, your life will be healthier and the body will ward off or minimize the effect of a deadly virus. Some of the advice may seem new or unorthodox at first, but just follow along and reap the good fortune.
Let’s examine the 10 steps:
1. Raw dairy is one of the fastest ways on the planet to help build the human immune system. Yes, unpasteurized milk, cheese, butter and yogurt. When you drink a glass of raw milk, your gut flora becomes saturated with billions of healthy bacteria. This is great news for those with Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel disease. The extremely healthy probiotics in raw dairy could possibly be the only relief you’ll ever need to help with those intestinal problems. Basically, pills can possibly kill healthy gut flora and raw dairy restores it. I know from personal experience and the experience of others these real enzymes Mother Nature put here on earth are for human consumption and wonderful health has been achieved through the consumption of it for thousands of years. Things like higher testosterone levels to excellent thyroid health have occurred in my own body from drinking raw milk. State-by-state you will find different laws for the distribution of raw dairy. Most states allow it to be sold from private farmers (see realmilkfinder.com). For those of you who are concerned about E. coli, you are 18 times more likely to come in contact with it from store-bought spinach. Don’t be afraid to search out good health from a super immune system builder such as raw dairy, so check out my raw kefir (milk) story at rankinsway.com. Raw milk has every vitamin known to mankind and all 21 essential amino acids.
2. Fermented foods such as homemade salt brine kimchi will certainly give your body some extremely healthy probiotics and prebiotics. Just the word kimchi intimidates some Westerners because it’s thought to be some ancient weird hard-to-make Asian food. It is Asian and it’s ancient, but it’s easy to make and should be in your arsenal against disease. I personally consume it daily and enjoy extremely good gut health from it. Kimchi is also well known for its superior weight loss benefits as well as better heart health, less cancer, lower cholesterol and less infections through less inflammation. You will naturally have better overall wellness when you have healthy bacteria and probiotics in your body, basically slowing down the aging process. There’s a reason all of those Asian folks are still walking around at 100 years of age. Salt brine fermentation is simple. Chop up veggies and place them in a quart jar of pure water (no chlorine or fluoride) with 1-1/2 tablespoons of pink Himalayan salt and let it sit on the counter top for three weeks. The end result will be a lifetime of excellent health for you and your loved ones. Watch my how-to video at rankinsway.com to learn more about how easy it is to make this life changing food.
3. Fruits are great for your immune system and have tons of hydration, fiber and healthy polyphenols and flavonols (antioxidants). They are full of healthy nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, manganese, magnesium, zinc, B-vitamins, folate and, of course, fiber. These are all immune system builders and are necessary for the prevention of disease and could assist you to avoid the severe effects of COVID-19. I’m not the biggest fan of juicing simply because most so-called juice experts recommend way too much fruit for one meal. Your body does have a glycemic index and the whole fruit tree is just too much for one sitting. Yes, I’m aware juicing helps with weight loss but it’s the temporary kind of weight loss and not really a good long-term alternative. Most juicing machines strip away and dispose of the insulin-metabolizing, cholesterol-lowering and cancer-fighting fiber. Now just why would you want to do that? Most people don’t consume a sufficient amount of fruit on a daily basis and some are just eating it at the wrong time of day. If an orange gives you energy, then it obviously wouldn’t be something you would eat at bed time. Breakfast seems to be the time to eat oranges, but I like to save citrus for later in the day when sugar cravings start knocking on the door. Breakfast should be loaded with other energy producing fruits such as strawberries, bananas, blueberries and my favorite, grape muscadines. The skin of a muscadine is known by many as having the most antioxidants of any fruit skin in the world. Real organic food can actually be cheaper to purchase than gut-destroying crop-dusted produce.
4. Vegetables are loaded with healthy immune system vitamins and nutrients. They are low in fat and calories but rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins. Vitamin C and potassium are a powerhouse result of fresh garden organic vegetables. If you eat vegetables of all colors in most meals then your body won’t need many supplements. I’m not saying all supplements are bad or unnecessary. Consuming most green leafy vegetables, colored peppers and foods that are orange, yellow, red, green and purple will certainly boost your immune system to fight disease easier and potentially turn you into a very healthy human being. Eating chips, crackers and inflammatory processed snacks will only open a whole world of health problems.
5. Honey is one of Mother Nature’s finest creations when it comes to great health. It is chock-full of natural antiviral and antibacterial properties. It is a very stable food that never goes bad. It has been used for thousands of years throughout ancient times as a healing immune-building source and was even found in King Tut’s tomb. He died in 1325 BC, and the honey was still edible hundreds of years later. Honey will not make you fat and can even be consumed in moderation by many diabetics. Honey is a daily go-to energy food and has been studied for generations with wonderful life-saving results – everything from better heart health to a great alternative to cough syrup. Some studies even suggest using honey results in lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and triglycerides. Always keep in mind just because a food is good for you, it doesn’t mean more is better. Honey is a good example as it can raise triglyceride levels. You would have to eat in excess of six or seven tablespoons of it daily to have that adverse effect. For an absolutely delicious recipe for use of honey, check out my high energy protein bars at rankinsway.com.
6. Spices are one of the most powerful ways to build a healthy immune system. The kinds of spices I’m talking about are not just the American originals that consist of only salt and pepper. One of the changes that has helped supercharge my own immune system is adoption of the Ayurvedic diet to the daily food intake. This diet consists mostly of whole foods and no processed foods and is based on Hindu Indian wellness that dates back for thousands of years. Some of the powerful immune-building spices are ginger, turmeric, pink Himalayan salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, cardamom, fennel, cumin, coriander, mint, fenugreek, garlic, onion and cayenne (or hotter) pepper. Don’t let the list overwhelm you. It’s simple. You don’t need to be a famous chef to use healthy, life-saving herbs and spices without changing your whole menu. Slowly start adding these ingredients into the mix and you will be serving the family a whole new world of delicious flavors, with immune system benefits included. All of these herbs and spices have similar health benefits, such as anti-inflammatory effects, which in turn help prevent disease. Pink Himalayan salt alone is known to be the most alkalizing food in the world. An alkaline body is usually a disease-free body; Dr. Otto Warburg won a Nobel peace prize in 1931 for that finding. Don’t forget to use healthy (no vegetable) oils when cooking with these spices. Start cooking with organic extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil, coconut oil, butter and lard.
7. Exercise is also a great immune system builder. Physical activity (especially cardio) is a great way to lower the stress hormone known as cortisol. We just happen to be living in a time in history where there is an abundant amount of stress going around and we all know stress lowers our immune system. This hormone, when left unchecked, will open the door for inflammation and just about any disease. Exercise will boost your energy and help with heart health, arthritis, diabetes, depression and your sex life with your partner. If you are an avid fan of the gym then you know exercise kills stress in its tracks. With most gyms closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, try making and working a garden or taking a hike. If the parks are closed, just hike on a quiet country road. Push-ups, squats, running, walking, curls and even bicycling are exercises you can do at home. If you just sit on the couch, then you will only lower your immunity.
8. Vitamin D3 is one of the best immune builders available, anywhere, period. In reality, D3 is not a vitamin but a hormone. You know how you always feel better after spending a day in the warm sun? There’s a reason. The earth was created as a totally holistic planet with the sun being a hot, fiery star that gives us light. There’s much more to this light than we ever imagined. The sun breathes pure health and energy into our bodies by activating our immune system. More health problems arise in the winter than in summer. There is an explanation: No sun equals more illness. In the winter many areas won’t have enough sunshine to keep our D3 in a healthy range. Most of us have levels at the bottom of the range every winter and aren’t even aware of it. Simply have your blood tested in both summer and winter and your doctor can tell you how much to supplement the D3. My personal preference is organic liquid drops that are fairly easy to find. In addition to a supplement, get as much D3 as possible from organic whole foods. Some of the best sources, besides the sun, are from cod liver oil, home-rendered lard, mushrooms, fish, eggs, sugar free orange juice and raw grass-fed dairy, including cheese. I personally take 10,000 to 15,000 units per day in the winter. Yours may differ and that is the need for a simple blood test.
9. Drink lots of fresh water, preferably spring water. Most people don’t drink enough water and stay dehydrated – and hurt all the time because of it. Adults should be drinking up to three or four quarts a day. There are many good drink choices that curb the sweet tooth while building the immune system (no colas). Be sure to only sweeten with honey or real stevia if needed. Everything listed here is a strong antioxidant that actually help heal your body and helps fight disease.
Green Tea – organic varieties only, and be careful to read the labels, looking for “natural flavors,” which only means hidden sugars.
Some of the following recipes could work their magic on a virus trying to take you down. When you feel a sore throat or a chest infection coming on, take a lot of these warm drinks all day long:
- 1 gallon water in large kettle
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cardamon seeds
- 3 whole allspice
- 6-8 peppercorns any color
- 1 inch fresh ginger knob, sliced thin
This is a great tonic for any kind of respiratory ailment. It’s also reputed to wipe out a really bad flu in less than a day. Keep reserved amounts in glass quart jars in the refrigerator and heat it up in a saucepan as needed. Add the honey just at time of serving.
Simple Ginger Tea
Grate 1 inch knob of fresh ginger.
Pour 2 cups very hot water over. Steep for a few minutes.
Strain into a tea cup and sweeten with honey.
This is reputed to burn anything out of your chest.
Medicine Tea "Emergency Formula"
- 1 inch piece grated ginger
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (with the "mother")
- juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 c raw milk
- 1 tsp tumeric powder or slices of fresh
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder or 2 small sticks
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger or 1/2" fresh ginger sliced thin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- honey to taste
Hot Chocolate or Chocolate Milk
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp raw organic honey
- 1/2 c water
Simmer on low until well dissolved.
Add 2-4 cups raw milk until desired richness. Do not allow to simmer; stop heating just when warm enough to enjoy, saving the enzymes and probiotics.
Drink warm whenever you’re craving chocolate. Put leftover in a glass bottle and refrigerate. Drink as a snack for a huge antioxidant boost during the day.
Fresh-Squeezed Orange Juice
Have a little every afternoon.
10. Sleep deprivation is definitely an immune system killer. There are dozens of reasons most people don’t sleep well and most of us are clueless as to why. Unfortunately most doctors, sleep clinics and scientific studies can’t fix your sleep problems. I personally had a fairly serious sleep deprivation problem for most of my life, 56 years and 8 months to be exact. I fixed it myself. Sleepless nights can wreak havoc on our health. More often than not insomnia is an underlying health issue related to either diet, stress (cortisol) and/or physical or mental issues. Besides making you irritable, sleeplessness can cause extremely bad health effects to your body, including almost everything from decreased cognitive skills to heart disease. The same foods that make you fat and sick are the foods that are keeping you from sleeping well. The first step on your route to correct this is to remove processed sugar from your diet. Second, eliminate monosodium glutamate (MSG). You may think these products are not in your food, but the label listings are written to confuse when they are hidden in processed foods. The word “processed” should be a clue the item is not healthy. When you have inflamed knuckles or swollen legs, it becomes impossible to get a good night’s sleep. Companies have made billions of dollars selling, for example, gut destroying medications for restless leg syndrome. Now a growing number of people believe it is simply inflammation from eating the wrong foods. If you are eating boxed, bagged or canned products, it is most likely you are being misled. Several university studies agree processed sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine and MSG is an excitotoxin and a neurotoxin. Both may be dangerous, cause inflammation and keep you awake at night. Try a sugar-free protein bar and free chocolate recipe at the site rankinsway.com. It will help you steer away from the foods causing your insomnia and lowering your immune system. A healthy immune system will help keep viruses away.
Become a rankinsway.com member today and unlock access to all of John’s articles, guides, recipes and more! Click here to become a member!