- 1 large pumpkin (or 2 medium butternut squash or similar amount of winter squash)
- 3-4 tbsp lard
- 2 onions
- stalk celery
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 c white wine
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 3-4 c homemade chicken or turkey broth
- 2 c cream or whole milk
- sage, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper
- Cook pumpkin or winter squash in oven until tender. Allow to cool and scoop out and set aside approximately 5-6 cups cooked pumpkin/squash meat.
- Gently simmer in 3-4 tbsp home rendered lard until tender with 2 c. chopped celery, 2 medium onions chopped fine, and 8 fresh garlic cloves minced.
- When tender, add 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and stir until pasty. Add 1 c. white wine and simmer stirring until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin meat and stir in spices: rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.
- As the mixture thickens, slowly add turkey or chicken broth, continuing to stir. You will need approximately 3-4 cups of broth. When about the right consistency, stop cooking and put all into a blender jar and mix until smooth (will fill blender twice.) Return to the pot to keep warm.
- Stir in a few cups of cream or whole milk for smoothness and creaminess.